WHY DID YOU CHANGE PUP LEADER TRAINING?
For nearly fifty years we have sought to effectively train Precept Bible Study Leaders. While our methods may have changed over the years, we remain steadfast in our goal to establish people in God’s Word. We continually evaluate the effectiveness of our Precept Upon Precept Leader Training, so there have been several different shifts over the years. We found that our most recent training, How to Lead Precept Upon Precept, a two-day workshop, could be more effective in equipping new Precept Upon Precept leaders to reason through the Scripture for life transformation. We’ve done an excellent job of modeling how to lead Precept Upon Precept discussions in our trainings, but we realized that it would be more effective to have the participants lead a discussion and be assessed as a discussion leader.
In our training paradigm, we give folks the opportunity to lead a discussion in a Bible study group and be assessed. 2017 was the year we began this new way of training Precept Upon Precept Leaders.
We know for some change is hard, even when we know that it is for the best! We’re convinced this new model of training Precept Upon Precept Leaders will lead to more effective discussions and a better experience for our Precept students.
HOW DO I BECOME A PUP LEADER?
Beginning in 2017, we discontinued our 2 day- How to Lead Precept Upon Precept Workshop. In its place, leaders are trained to lead Precept Upon Precept within Precept Bible study groups across the country and through a longer training workshop where they will demonstrate the ability to lead effective discussions.
There are now three ways to become a Precept Upon Precept Leader:
- At Precept’s Campus in Chattanooga | New Precept Upon Precept Leaders will be trained in conjunction with Precept Study Programs. They will see effective discussions, be trained in effective discussion principles, lead a Precept Upon Precept discussion, and be assessed by our Precept Training Team.
- At Training Events around the US | New Precept Upon Precept Leaders will be trained in select cities around the country during three-day leadership workshops. They will see effective discussions, be trained in effective discussions, lead a Precept Upon Precept discussion, and be assessed by our Precept Training Team.
- At Precept Training Groups around the country by Precept Coaches | New Precept Upon Precept Leaders will be trained within existing Precept Upon Precept classes that are led by certified Coaches who have been trained by Precept Training. These Coaches will train, develop, and deploy new Precept Upon Precept leaders in mentoring and discipleship relationships.
WHY ARE ALL THE TRAININGS FULL?
As you can imagine, it will take some time to implement this new strategy and make it available throughout the US. If we can recruit, train and resource effective Bible study leaders who lead with excellence and multiply themselves we will see great progress in our mission! For nearly 30 years this has been the practice of many of our international teams and the results prove its effectiveness!
WHAT DO I DO IF I NEED A LEADER NOW?
Many of you are writing us, concerned because you need a trained leader now. Either your current Precept Upon Precept Leader is retiring, moving, or you have the wonderful problem of full classes and you need to multiply a new class. We hear you! We understand your concern. If your potential leader is not able to attend one of the three options above, then we suggest the following:
- Go to http://entrust.precept.org/ and click on one of the three options for Leader Training.
- We strongly suggest that anyone who is interested in Precept Upon Precept Training is actively involved in a Precept Bible study in their area. If they are a part of a Precept Upon Precept Class, a great first step would be for the potential leader to sub for the existing leader. Since most new leaders will be introducing new people to inductive Bible study, it is often effective to start a new group by leading Precept’s 40 minute Series, NISS Study Series, or LORD Series. These studies require no training to lead and would be a great place for a new leader to start. This will help the potential leader gain more confidence in leading inductive Bible Study and will effectively establish the need for a new class in the area.
- Consider hosting one of our other available workshops. Precept Training now provides the following training workshops:
- Free 1 hour and 3-hour Workshops to introduce Inductive Bible Study
- Free 3 hour Workshops to equip disciple makers with Inductive Bible Study.
- 1 day Leader training in Teaching Inductive Bible Study to Children
- 1-day Skills Workshops
- 2-day Workshops designed to equip Precept Upon Precept® discussion leaders.
If you are interested in hosting a Training workshop please visit training.precept.org and fill out the “Host A Workshop” form.
I’M ALREADY A PUP LEADER, DO I NEED TO BE RETRAINED?
No, those who have attended a 2-Day Precept Upon Precept Leader Training are not required to be retrained. Those Precept Upon Precept Leaders who were trained in the past are still able to lead Precept Upon Precept classes and purchase Precept Upon Precept materials. However, you may want to consider joining us in the future in order to be assessed as a Precept Upon Precept Discussion Leader. Right now, we’re focusing on training new leaders.
CAN I STILL BRING A PUP TRAINING TO MY AREA?
If you are interested in hosting a Precept Upon Precept Leader Training, we would love to prayerfully consider that option with you. We are excited about offering this training throughout the United States. If you are interested in hosting a leader training please visit www.entrust.precept.org
In preparation, you may be interested in one of the options listed above, especially hosting another Precept Training Workshop. While these workshops will not certify someone to lead Precept Upon Precept at this time, it will help expose inductive Bible study to more people in your area. As a result, there will be people ready to join classes once the new leader is trained. If you’re interested in hosting one of these workshops, please visit http://training.precept.org and fill out the “Host a Training Workshop” form.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A PUP LEADER, COACH, AND TRAINER?
Great question! A Precept Upon Precept® Leader is a Bible Study Leader that has been trained by Precept to lead Bible studies from our Precept Upon Precept® series. They have been trained to reason through the text with their classes to draw out of the students what they have learned through their personal study during the week. Precept Leaders lead by asking good questions.
A Precept Coach is a Precept Upon Precept® Leader that has been trained by Precept Training to raise up other Precept Upon Precept Leaders from within their Precept Upon Precept groups. They have demonstrated an ability to recruit new leaders, disciple and train them to lead Precept Upon Precept Discussions, and deploy them to start new classes in their area. Precept Training Coaches are always dependent upon the Lord to show them who needs to be trained as a Precept Upon Precept leader. They are multipliers, those who understand that it is far better to have leaders deployed out of their classes then it is to have a large class.
A Precept Trainer is someone that has been trained by Precept Training to conduct workshops to introduce people to the tool of inductive Bible Study. Some Trainers are also Coaches who train Precept Upon Precept® Bible Study leaders
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST? WHO IS PAYING FOR THIS?
In the past, our Precept Upon Precept Leader Training cost $100 for a two-day workshop. In this new model of training leaders, there will be no registration fee for the potential leader. Precept is investing in developing leaders that will carry out our mission of establishing people in God’s Word through effective Precept discussions.
- If the Potential leader who will be joining us on campus in Chattanooga, will need to cover their travel expenses – all other expenses (meals, housing on campus, and materials) will be covered by Precept Ministries.
- If the potential Leader will be joining us at a Precept Upon Precept Leader Training Workshop around the United States, they will cover travel to the workshop and room and board, but there is no fee for the training workshop.
- If the potential leader will be trained within a Precept Training Group, there is no cost to the potential leader for the training other than the Precept Workbook. Precept Ministries International is largely funded by generous donors whose lives have been impacted by the powerful tool of Precept’s Inductive Bible Study Method and who, like us, desire more people to be established in God’s Word.
WHAT ARE THE EXPECTATIONS AFTER I RECEIVE TRAINING?
Precept Ministries International is investing in leaders who will go on and lead Precept Upon Precept Bible studies within three months after being trained. During the training sessions, leaders will be thoroughly trained on the distinctive of an effective Precept discussion. Leaders trained with this new paradigm will agree that they will continue leading Precept group discussions in the way that they are trained to lead.
WHAT PRECEPT COURSE WILL WE STUDY?
It depends! Participants in upcoming Precept Leader Trainings will know well in advance what study they will be responsible for completing prior to the training.
Off-campus Leader Trainings and Training within a Precept Group will depend on what courses are being offered at the time.